Like what you hear? Fancy having a go yourself? Get in touch via our Twitter site @fusiononair

Tuesday 12 December 2017

Mick's Chunk Of Funk

Wotcha.  Mick here.

I've had a couple of people ask me for the track list from the "Chunk Of Funk" set.  It's listed below, but first I thought I'd take a short while & explain my thinking behind choosing the songs that I did.

The starting point was the music had to "move" me.  I wasn't going to try and be too clever & fill it with obscure or lesser-known tracks.  Every day on twitter I see tweets from people who I respect with far more knowledge and passion than me posting wonderful music that I've never heard before.  I would be lying if I said I hadn't drawn from some of these posts.  But in the main I went with music that I already knew, and every track had to fill at least one of the following two criteria:

1:   I had to feel it "through my feet".  And yes - I am to dancing what Donald Trump is to diplomacy.  But I care not a jot.  That person sitting down laughing at you as you make a fool of yourself dancing secretly wishes they were dancing too.

2:   I had to feel it in my heart.

I also decided very early that what this set didn't need was some bloke with a microphone gobbing off.  It was about letting the music do all the talking.  Yes - there's the odd jingle thrown in, but that's a handy tool to fall back on when you want to play a certain track next but can't mix the bugger in properly!

So here we go - here's the full set list.  20 soulful funky songs that I enjoy listening to.  Songs that move my feet or my heart (or both).  Songs that make me smile, that give me happy memories, or remind me of special people and places.

And then one more song at the end.  A song that everyone should sing softly to the person they love while dancing with them.

And if that makes me sound soft - as I said above concerning the dancing - I care not a jot.




Baby Huey - Hard Times
Harvey Scales - What's Good For You (Don't Have To Be Good To You)
Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - From The Love Side
Joe Tex - Papa Was, Too
Bobby Womack & Peace - Across 110th Street
Clarence Carter - Looking For A Fox
Ruby Delicious - Rock Steady
Wilson Pickett - Soul Dance Number 3
Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music
Bobby Byrd - I Know You Got Soul
Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
Lightnin' Rod - Sport
Temptations - Cloud Nine
Four Tops - Are You Man Enough
Detroit Emeralds - Feel The Need In Me
Curtis Mayfied - Superfly
Johnny Adams - Spunky Onions
Gene Chandler & Gerry Butler - Ten And Two (Take This Woman Off The Corner)
Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - Express Yourself
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World

Should you feel the need, you can listen back here:  Mick's Chunk Of Funk

No comments:

Post a Comment